Maggie has seven teeth! She only had two a few weeks ago. So, she is really pulling at her ears, and she has had a bit of "the runs" the last couple of days. Through it all, she has not been fussy or been waking up during the night. Are these really symptoms of getting more teeth? I thought I would call the doctor if she isn't better in the morning, but I was curious if any of you had any personal experiences you might want to share on the matter?
April 29
14 years ago

5 comments:
the doctor is going to tell you that there are no symptoms to teething but that's just not true. i think it's the teeth. if those symptoms keep up, then call. but give it a couple of days.
I definitely think it's the teeth. One book I read (Babywhisperer) said that teeth erupt in three day increments, totaling 9 days (from the time they start moving to completely breaking through)! If she's really pulling at her ears, I'd take her to the doctor (check her temp,too). If you just notice drooling and fussiness (and some runs), try to ride it out. When Lila had ear issues, she would cry out during the night (a painful cry). As a mom you just know if things aren't right, so go on your instincts. BTW, love the beach pics...you look hot on your date night!! :)
I have heard that ear infections do show up as stomach issues(sometimes you don't even notice the ear stuff, but the it is the stomach issues that tip you off to something being wrong). I do know that sounds a lot like teething too. But keep an eye on that, b/c all those things seem to go together.
As a PNP student who does rotations in pediatric offices, if she's not waking up super fussy at night, it is usually not the ears. Children with ear infections usually are extremely fussy. The pulling on the ears is rarely a symptom of ear infections. She could however have a virus -- as long as she is staying hydrated I would not worry about the diarrhea, but if she decreases her liquid intake, take her to the doctor!
UNC NICU RN / Duke PNP student
It is probably the teeth. Teething causes every horrible symptom you can think of. One time I took Isabel to the Dr. because she was pulling at her ears and I was worried it was an ear infection. It wasn't. A nurse told me that babies have a hard time figuring out exactly where the pain is and often pull at their ears if their teeth or throat hurts.
Post a Comment