Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Mercy

Our sermon at church this past Sunday was the first sermon (of several) about the gifts of the Spirit (1 Corinthians).  As usual, the sermon encouraged and challenged me.  

One example that Matt gave was about his sweet sister-in-law.  She definitely has the gift of mercy.  He said that he can call her and tell her about a crisis or situation in our church body, and she will physically wear that problem.  She will pray fervently for those people or for the problem.  In fact, he said that she doesn't have to write notes to remind herself to pray, she has to remind herself to do her daily obligations (like pick her kids up from school). 

As he was giving this illustration, something stirred in my soul.  I thought, " Lord, do I have the gift of mercy?"  I know that the answer is yes.  Even as I was asking it, I knew the answer.  The problem is my complete and utter failure to use my gift to help other believers.....which is the only reason I was given this gift in the first place. 

I feel mercy deeply and painfully for other people.  I have lived in a fog, forgotten to eat, and had physical pain because I feel so unbelievably sad for others who are in the midst of tragedy or loss.  But, have I prayed for them.  Once, twice, maybe even three times.  But, usually, I just think that there is nothing to be done but to cry and feel agony for those people.  Not anymore.

This morning, at bible study, a lady shared her story of loss and tragedy.  Yes, I cried with her as she told the story.  And, yes, I have felt pain for her all day long.  I have cried and cried, but I have prayed and prayed.  I hope and pray that the anniversary of this tragedy (which is coming up shortly) will be easier for her and for her family.

I can't say that I am really thankful for this gift, but now I am thankful for it's purpose!   

1 comment:

MLS said...

Thanks for sharing....good stuff!